Last updated on March 7th, 2023 at 04:21 pm
Put Me in the Zoo is an “I can read it all by myself” Beginner Book edited by Dr. Seuss. It is one of our family’s very favorite books for little ones, and has the familiar “Dr. Seuess-type” rhyming that kids love! (Actually, for a long time I thought Dr. Seuss did write this book.)
In this story, Spot believes he deserves to be in the zoo with the other amazing animals, so he shows two young friends all the exciting things he can do with his spots. From changing their color and juggling them to moving them onto everything around him, you won’t believe what Spot can do.
Read the book with your kids, and then make these fun (and easy) Put Me in the Zoo treats together!
Put Me in the Zoo Treats
This recipe will make four or five Put Me in the Zoo Rice Krispies treats.
Some things you’ll need that you may not have on hand are:
Put Me in the Zoo Rice Krispies treats
Ingredients for Rice Krispies Treats
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 – 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Ingredients for the Put Me in the Zoo Tiger
- Pan of prepared Rice Krispies treats from the above recipe
- 2 Tbsp. solid shortening
- 3/4 cup Wilton yellow chocolate melts or you could use white melts with yellow dye
- 10 large Nilla Wafers
- Candy Sprees – large bag
- Black decorating/write-on gel
- Yellow sprinkles – optional
Directions for Rice Krispies Treats
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat, and stir in the cereal until well-coated.
- Using a rubber spatula (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray), transfer the cereal mixture into the prepared pan, and press down firmly and evenly.
- Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely before the assembly process.
Directions to Assemble the Put Me in the Zoo Tiger
- With a jumbo circle cookie cutter, cut out 4-5 jumbo circles from your prepared Rice Krispies treats.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, microwave the shortening for 40 seconds or until melted.
- Add the yellow chocolate melts, and stir until completely melted.
- Spread the melted yellow chocolate on top of each Rice Krispie circle, and place on the lined baking sheet for at least 30 minutes to “set.”
- Meanwhile, cut off the bottom of a Nilla Wafer cookie and dip into the melted yellow chocolate. Firmly press the cookie into the upper top side of the tiger head to resemble an ear. Hold in place for 15 seconds. Repeat on the other side with another cookie. (If the leftover melted yellow chocolate begins to harden, microwave in five second intervals until melted again.) Optional: Sprinkle yellow sprinkles on the ears before the yellow chocolate dries.
- Repeat step 6 on all of the Rice Krispies tiger heads.
- With the black write-on gel, pipe the eyes, nose, and mouth on each tiger face.
- To make the spots, gently press Sprees candies pieces onto the face, alternating colors.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s newsletter.