Last updated on March 18th, 2020 at 11:57 pm
Here’s a cookie recipe that’s perfect for Easter, spring, or anytime you want a festive cookie. When you make these jelly bean sugar cookies, you could also use specific colors of jelly beans for special occasions– think Valentine’s Day cookies, St. Patrick’s Day cookies, red and blue for patriotic cookies, Christmas cookies, etc. You can even use team colors or “awareness” colors, like pink for breast cancer.
This recipe will make two dozen small cookies.
1 stick butter (8 Tablespoons ) at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Wilton coarse sparkling sugar crystals
1 bag jelly beans
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. Cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
4. Mix in the egg yolk, baking powder, almond extract, and salt until well incorporated.
5. Gradually add the flour into the mixture, and beat on medium speed until a dough begins to form. NOTE: the dough will be very coarse.
6. Because the dough is so course, you will need to use your hands to form the dough into small one-inch balls.
7. Roll each cookie dough ball into a bowl filled with coarse sugar, covering each ball in sugar.
8. Place the balls of dough onto the cookie sheets at least two inches apart.
9. Bake for 10 minutes exactly.
10. Leave cookies on the cookie sheet for five minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool.
11. Before they completely cool, gently press a jellybean into the middle of each cookie.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.