Last updated on January 12th, 2021 at 09:59 pm
Do you celebrate Mardi Gras? Whether you look forward to a big celebration every year or not, this Mardi Gras snack mix is a fun and delicious addition to the day. Enjoy!
Note: It’s easy to customize this snack for any holiday. Where you see “mardi gras colors” in this recipe, substitute the appropriate color for the holiday you’re celebrating–or how about sports’ team colors?
- Valentine’s Day — pink, white, and red
- St. Patrick’s Day — green and white
- Easter — any pastels, like pink, yellow, light blue, light green, and light purple
- Memorial Day/Independence Day/Labor Day — red, white, and blue
- Halloween — orange
- November/Autumn — orange, brown, yellow
- Christmas — red and green
- Hanukkah — blue and white
Mardi Gras Snack Mix
- 4 cups Chocolate Rice Chex
- 5 cups Muddy Buddies recipe below
- 1/2 cup purple and green M&M’s
- 16 Pretzel squares
- 8 Wilton purple chocolate melts
- 8 Wilton lime green chocolate melts
- Chocolate sunflower seeds — purple green, and yellow
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Set aside.
- Place 8 pretzel squares on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 20 seconds to warm the pretzels.
- Place the 8 purple melts in the middle of each warm pretzel and microwave for an additional 20-30 seconds until the chocolate melt is soft.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes.
- Repeat steps 2-4 using the green chocolate melts.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chocolate Chex cereal, (muddy buddies recipe below), and purple and green pretzels. Toss to mix.
- Sprinkle the M&M’s and sunflower seeds on top.
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick – room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Place the Rice Chex cereal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave for 1 minute, and stir.
- Microwave for an additional 30 seconds until smooth.
- Add the vanilla, and stir to incorporate.
- Pour mixture over the cereal, and stir to get all of the pieces covered.
- Transfer the cereal into a large Ziploc bag (one gallon or larger).
- Pour the powdered sugar into the bag and seal it. Gently shake the bag until all of the cereal pieces are evenly coated with the powdered sugar.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Carefully, pour out the cereal onto the baking sheet, and spread out to cool.
- Once cooled, add to the above Mardi Gras Snack Mix recipe.