Disclosure: Articles may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases (at no additional cost to you). See our full disclosure here.
Last updated on March 25th, 2023 at 02:26 pm
If you’re looking for snack foods for your kids, you’ll find lots of pre-packaged and unhealthy options, but snacks don’t need to be unhealthy. There are plenty of options for wholesome and healthy snacks that give your kids important nutrients and help control hunger between meals.
Try these healthy snacks
- “Ants on a log” (celery with peanut butter and raisins)
- Fresh or canned fruit (canned in 100% juice, not syrup) with fat-free or low-fat yogurt
- Whole-grain crackers with low-fat cheese
- Vegetable “matchsticks” (thin sticks made from fresh carrots, zucchini, or bell peppers)
- Whole-wheat bread, rice cakes, or apple slices with peanut butter
- Quesadillas (low-fat cheese melted in a whole-wheat tortilla)
- Unsalted pretzels or air-popped popcorn
- Baked (not fried) tortilla chips and salsa
- Whole-wheat pita bread with hummus (dip made with chick peas)
Keep fresh fruit in a place that’s easy to reach in the refrigerator or on the table. This will make it easier for kids to grab a healthy snack.
Healthy Snacks for Kids -- A Few Quick Tips | #health #parents #children Click To Tweet
Snack healthy on the go.
- Take unsalted nuts and unsweetened dried fruits, fresh vegetables, or fresh fruit in small reusable containers or baggies.
- Pack low-fat string cheese sticks.
Set the rules.
- Teach your kids to ask before they help themselves to snacks.
- Eat snacks at the table or in the kitchen, not in front of the TV.
- Serve snacks like pretzels or popcorn in a bowl. Don’t let kids snack directly out of the bag or box.
- Drink water, milk (fat-free or low-fat), or 100% fruit juice instead of soda or fruit-flavored drinks.
For more information on nutrition and kids, visit:
Check out these healthy snack ideas too —
Grape Caterpillar Kabobs (So Easy, So Fun!)
Butterfly Snack Bags
No-Bake Energy Bites: Try This Easy Recipe
Leave a Reply