Disclosure: Articles may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases (at no additional cost to you). See our full disclosure here.
Last updated on July 6th, 2020 at 06:26 pm
The COVID-19 pandemic has put a stop to social gatherings, and social distancing has become a norm. With everyone grappling with the mental and emotional impact of social distancing, parents are looking for innovative ways to celebrate their kids’ birthdays. This has led to a surge in virtual birthday party options. Many companies are coming up with creative ways to design virtual parties and VR companies are offering experiential themes. Hence, virtual birthday parties are a trend that’s here to stay. Get creative and customize your child’s virtual birthday party with fun games, sing-alongs, or even virtual fairy visits. You can also create themed e-invites at greenvelope.com.
Why are Virtual Birthday Parties Important?
As a parenting coach, Graziella Simonetti correctly says “social distancing does not mean social isolation.” It’s important to realize the impact of social connectedness and how it affects children. A birthday party is a big deal for a child, and they look forward to that special day. Though a real party isn’t possible in times like these, well-organized virtual parties can make your child feel loved and connected to their community. A virtual gathering can give your child a sense of connection with his or her friends and family that’s like having real-life guests come over. Little things like giving surprise online gifts can make your child happy too.
With so many options to choose from, virtual birthday parties are a fun way to break the pandemic monotony. In fact, a virtual birthday party will cost you much less and your child can still have all the fun. Your child can invite friends for online mini games, and your child and his friends can virtually socialize while they watch their favorite movies. With Virtual Reality technology, you can have your kids visit carnivals or watch magic shows with their friends.
Creative ways to Host a Virtual Birthday Party–
- Host a Zoom Party: Parents are going online to celebrate their child’s birthday on platforms like Zoom and Google Hangouts. Virtual parties for children often include virtual games and activities, watching a movie together virtually, or playing games in a group. From creating themed virtual parties to sending online gifts, there are many ways to enliven the occasion. Another way to spice up a virtual birthday party is by sending fun and personalized e-invites. You can add a dash of surprise to your party by sending gifts to the birthday child’s friends and have them open the presents together online.
- Go for Online Hangouts for Children: Apps like Roblox, an online hangout for kids, have gained immense popularity during the pandemic. Roblox is often used for hosting in-game birthday parties, wherein children play a series of mini games with their friends to celebrate their birthday. For younger children, simpler apps like Caribu can be used for easy in-app activities that can be enjoyed by toddlers.
From virtual cooking to fun yoga classes, there are some amazing online party spaces with themed activities. For example, Yogi Beans parties, an online party space, allows the birthday boy or girl to choose a special theme. The theme can be something like outer space or under the sea. The instructor takes the children through a structured yoga class. The party ends with everyone singing for the birthday child. Snapology is a popular party space for LEGO lovers. Here, the instructor engages children in fun games and activities, while children socialize virtually with their friends.
- Get fun Virtual Performers: The current pandemic may have forced you to host your party virtually but that shouldn’t stop you from getting those fun party performers your children love. With parties going virtual, many performers are going for online acts. Bubbledad or performer Chris Catanese is sure to keep the kids entertained with his bubble-making tricks. From showing the kids how to make character bubbles to creating bubbles within bubbles, the performer does things that kids love.
All it takes is a virtual visit to make your little one meet a real-life fairy. Faery Hunt fairy is a 15-minute virtual fairy visit by a trained performer who can tell stories or sing songs. You can also have a real-life princess character host your fairytale party.
Also read —
Virtual Playdate Ideas, the Best Free Apps, & a Printable Checklist
Planning a Perfect Virtual Birthday Party For Your Child–
While you may have selected what you want to do for your child’s birthday from the options mentioned above, you can create a memorable experience for your child by planning it well. The technology to use, logistics, games, performers, themes, cakes, and presents are some of the things that can be planned in advance. Below are a few things you can do to ensure a fun virtual party for your child.
- Keep it short and sweet: Ideally, a virtual party shouldn’t be longer than an hour. This includes activities, sing-alongs, and performances. This is because children have a short attention span and tend to get restless in front of a computer screen.
- Create a structure: Structure how your party will flow to prevent last-minute confusion. You can start by having your child welcome everyone and then allow time for each guest to give their birthday messages. This can be followed by the main activities you’ve decided, like playing an online game together or a virtual dance session. Finally, have everyone sing the birthday song as your child cuts the cake.
- Online presents: You can also give your child online gifts like app games, animated storybooks, or subscriptions for virtual group classes.
Virtual Birthday Parties are Here To Stay (for now)–
Children look forward to their birthday parties. Though nothing can replace an in-person birthday party, virtual parties come pretty close. From beautiful e-invites to your child’s favorite theme, everything can be brought to the online space. Have your child socialize or watch a play online with his friends on his special day. Don’t forget to take screenshots of the fun moments, something to keep the memories of your fun virtual party alive. With a plethora of innovative ways to create that perfect party, your child will surely ask for another!
Also read —
Simple (and Fun) Kids’ Birthday Party Ideas You Can do at Home
Energizing Brain Breaks + a Free Printable
You can also find MomsWhoSave on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter. Join us for updates.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below!
Leave a Reply