The next time you make chicken or turkey, why not kick things up a notch with your own poultry herb blend? This homemade seasoning recipe is a classic blend of spices that will pair perfectly with any kind of poultry.
Sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, and nutmeg come together to enhance almost any chicken or turkey dish. You can even use it on veggies, other kinds of meat, or add it to your homemade gravy.
We especially love this simple recipe because it’s just that–simple to make, and you can adjust the seasoning to your family’s taste, if you’d like.
Plus, when you make this poultry blend from scratch, you know exactly what you’re getting.
More Ways to Use This Poultry Blend
Yes, this seasoning is ideal for poultry, but you might also want to use it to give some extra flavor to these recipes:
- veggie burgers
- roasted or grilled vegetables
Poultry Herb Blend Tips and Variations
- Don’t be afraid of the nutmeg. It might sound like it doesn’t belong in this seasoning blend, but it’s actually a common ingredient in many poultry seasoning mixes you buy in the store. If you don’t add the nutmeg, it will cut out one of the most important flavor components of this seasoning.
- I don’t add salt and pepper to my poultry seasoning mixtures because you’ll want to add that to taste as you prepare each dish or when it’s served. When it comes to salt and pepper, everyone’s preferences vary from recipe to recipe.
- Once you’ve tried this poultry herb blend, adjust the seasoning levels to your liking. There’s no rule that says you must stick to the exact amounts we’re listing in the recipe (below).
- That said, you can, of course, experiment. Here are some ideas for additions you might want to try:
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black pepper or cayenne pepper
- Store your seasoning mix in a sealed container or jar if you aren’t using it all immediately. (We like these spice jars.)
- Keep it in a cool dark place, like your kitchen cupboard. If stored out of direct sunlight, this seasoning mix will keep for six months to a year, although if you store it too much longer, it might lose a little bit of its flavor.
Once you’ve tried it, leave a comment to let us know how you like this herb blend–and how you’re using it!
Poultry Herb Blend
- 2 Tablespoons Sage
- 2 Tablespoons Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Marjoram
- 1 Tablespoon Rosemary
- 2 Teaspoons Nutmeg
- Combine all the ingredients in a small dish and mix well.
- Use immediately, or store in a sealed jar or dish.
2. Use immediately, or store in a sealed jar or dish.