Last updated on May 5th, 2021 at 02:39 pm
Do you remember Shake ‘n Bake? It’s a seasoned coating mix for chicken or porkchops. When you bake the meat with this coating, it tastes like fried chicken or porkchops.
Shake ‘n Bake is a time-saver since it has a blend of seasonings already pre-packaged, but we’ve got something we think you’ll like even better. We’ve come up with a homemade low-carb Shake and Bake coating for chicken (or pork). It saves money, and we think it tastes better too. When you try this baked chicken recipe with our low-carb Shake and Bake, I bet it will become a family favorite.
In our recipe, we’re using drumsticks, since just about everyone loves them. This is perfect for picnics or get-togethers of any kind, or a weeknight dinner at home.
You might want to make some extra “Copycat” Shake and Bake to keep on hand. Just store it in a sealed container so it stays fresh until the next time you need a quick and easy dinner.
Low-Carb Shake and Bake
Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks (With Homemade Low Carb Shake and Bake)
- 2 pounds of chicken pieces
Low Carb Shake and Bake
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Stevia powder Stevia can be substituted for sugar at a one to one ratio. So two Tbsp of Stevia is equal to two Tbsp of sugar.
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- The night before, I brine the chicken in two quarts of water mixed with 1/4 cup of sugar and two tblsp. kosher salt in a covered container. I remove the chicken, and pat the surfaces dry with paper towels.
Preheat your oven to 400 F. In a small mixing bowl, combine all the other ingredients listed above, and mix them well. Put this mixture into a gallon-sized plastic bag with a zip closure. Drop in two or three pieces of chicken, and close the bag. Shake the bag until the chicken pieces are well-coated. Remove them, and place them in a lightly-oiled 9 x 13 pan. Repeat the process until all the chicken pieces are coated and in the pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400 F. Remove the foil, and bake for 20 more minutes uncovered. When the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 180 F, remove it from the oven.
- Serve the crispy chicken warm with your favorite sides, or chill and serve cold. Either way, it tastes great.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below!