Last updated on May 19th, 2023 at 11:17 pm
Today I have a hearty, filling, and oh so tasty recipe for you that just happens to be low-carb/keto-friendly and naturally gluten-free. If you like a good Philly cheesesteak, you’re going to love this stuffed pepper version.
These Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers are just bursting with flavor–how can they not be with the bell peppers, the steak, the onions, garlic, and all that gooey mozarella? I know you’re going to love them!
Slice four bell peppers in half, and remove the seeds and stems. Place the peppers in a casserole dish, and drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper, and bake.
Cook the steak, mushrooms, and vegetables according to the instructions in the recipe below.
Spoon the steak/veggie mixture into the pepper halves, top with mozzarella, and bake.
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- 4 whole bell peppers
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 sirloin steak about 1 inch thick
- 1 8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded (substitute with your favorite cheese)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice four bell peppers in half, and remove the seeds and stems. Place the peppers in a 9x13” casserole dish, and drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While peppers are baking, heat a large skillet on high heat. Pour a thin layer of olive oil in the pan -- just enough to coat the bottom. Generously salt and pepper both sides of the sirloin. Place it in the hot skillet for one minute on each side. Remove from pan and place the steak on a cutting board.
- Turn the heat down to medium for the same skillet, and add the mushrooms and garlic. After one minute, add sliced onions and one sliced bell pepper (I used ½ of a red and ½ of a green bell pepper). Season with salt and pepper. Cook for three to four minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While mushroom and pepper mixture is cooking, slice the steak into the thin strips, and discard any fat. Add the steak strips to the skillet, and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat to the skillet. Spoon the steak and pepper into each cooked bell pepper half-filling until all halves are full and mixture is used up.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese, and place in the oven to bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Let me know how you like these Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers!