Last updated on October 30th, 2022 at 01:48 pm
Here’s a delicious breakfast recipe that is so versatile! These Make-Ahead Sausage Breakfast Muffins with Egg and Cheese are so good when you eat them warm from the oven, perfect when you have a crowd to feed (holiday brunches, kids’ sleepovers, etc.), and are easy to freeze and warm up for school days or any busy morning.
It’s nice to enjoy a hot breakfast, even on those days when you’re in a rush, and this recipe makes it easy. If you’d like to make these vegetarian, you can substitute veggie sausage or even skip the sausage altogether.
Make-Ahead Sausage Breakfast Muffins with Egg and Cheese
Here’s everthing you need to make these make-ahead sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast muffins.
After preheating the oven, spray a muffin tin with cooking spray, then fill the muffin tin cups about ¾ of the way full with hash browns. Press with your fingers to mold the hash browns to the cups all the way to the top. Bake the hashbrowns until they start to brown.
Next, add the sausage crumbles, cheese, and eggs (whisked), and return the muffin tin to the oven to bake.
You might want to make a double batch since these can be frozen to serve anytime.
How to Store These Breakfast Muffins
How to Reheat These Make-Ahead Sausage Breakfast Muffins With Egg and Cheese
To reheat your breakfast muffins when they’ve been refrigerated, simply microwave for about 20 seconds (depending on your microwave).
If they’ve been frozen, microwave for about 60 to 90 seconds (depending on your microwave).
I like to take these out of the freezer the night before to let them unthaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then microwave until warmed through.
Make-Ahead Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Muffins
- 4 cups shredded hash browns thawed
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ pound sausage cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- In a large bowl combine the hash browns, butter, salt and pepper.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill the cups about ¾ of the way full with the hash browns. Press with your fingers to mold the hash browns to the cups all the way to the top. Try to make the sides the same thickness all the way around for even cooking. Make sure there are hash browns on the bottom of the cup.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until they are starting to brown. Let cool slightly.
- Reduce oven to 350˚.
- Take half of the shredded cheese and sprinkle in the bottom of the cups. Repeat with half of the sausage crumble.
- Whisk the eggs together and fill the cups until almost full.
- Top with the second half of cheese and sausage.
- Bake until eggs are set, 20-25 minutes.
- To freeze: Let cool for two hours, then place muffins in a Ziploc gallon bag until you're ready to enjoy. Microwave for a few minutes before serving for breakfast.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below!