Last updated on October 1st, 2022 at 03:46 pm
Articles may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you).
As I write this, much of the United States is going through a cold snap, with record low temperatures for most of the country. Where I live, we’re experiencing single-digit temperatures, and it definitely makes me want to stay inside in front of the fire.
When it’s this cold, everyone craves good old-fashioned comfort food, and this potato soup is sure to hit the spot. There’s absolutely no better meal on a chilly day than a big pot of soup. (If you don’t have a big stock pot, here’s one we like.)
Top this hearty potato soup with some shredded cheddar, or chives and bacon. It’s even better served with warm breadsticks. Enjoy, and keep warm!
Potato Soup Recipe Notes:
- This reicpe calls for water or broth, but broth will give it more flavor.
- Use vegetable broth to keep this soup vegan.
- No need to worry if you’re avoiding gluten, this soup is gluten-free!
- Add in some extra veggies for an even heartier soup. Try chopped cooked cauliflower, carrots, or broccoli.
- Top this potato soup with shredded cheddar, chives, or bacon.
Hearty Potato Soup
- 5 potatoes peeled and chopped (approximately 3 1/2 cups)
- 4 cups water or broth
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions optional garnish
Boil your potatoes in water until cooked well – if you spear one with a fork, it should fall apart.
Drain the water, and leave the potatoes in the strainer as you cook the onion.
Place the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat, and add the chopped onion. Cook until translucent, about three minutes.
Add the potatoes back in along with the water or broth. Cover, and cook until the potatoes start to break down, about 20 minutes.
Place in a blender, or use an immersion blender, and blend until smooth.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish as desired. I love shredded cheddar cheese and chives as a garnish, and my boys love crumbled bacon too. Enjoy!
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.