Last updated on October 9th, 2022 at 03:55 pm
I love pound cake. It’s an old-fashioned, simple dessert, but you can enjoy it so many different ways. It’s great as a strawberry “shortcake,” but it’s equally delicious with any kind of berries, and topped with whipped cream, of course.
Or, you can glaze or frost pound cake any way you’d like to create an entirely new flavor. (I love lemon.) Add spices or extracts to the basic recipe to create even more tasty varieties.
Of all the ways you can make pound cake, I honestly sometimes just like it plain. It really is pretty terrific all on its own.
Here’s our gluten-free dairy-free pound cake recipe that everyone can enjoy. (It’s suitable for paleo diets too.) Let me know how you plan to serve it!
Pound Cake Recipe (Gluten-Free, Paleo, and Dairy-Free)
- 2 Cups almond flour
- 1 Cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ Cup tapioca flour
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 2 Eggs separated
- ⅓ Cup coconut milk full fat
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a baking pan, and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut sugar, tapioca flour, and baking powder. Add the egg yolks, coconut milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar, and beat for about four minutes or until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Incorporate the egg whites to the batter in three additions using a spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan, and put in the oven.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until done.
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Pound Cake Recipe Tips
It’s very important to beat the egg whites, and then add them to the batter. It’s what gives the pound cake its airy texture.
You can slice the cake and freeze it, so it’s perfect to make ahead, and unthaw when you want a sweet treat for one!
This is a great basic recipe. You can add your favorite fruits or spices to customize it to fit your taste. This gluten-free dairy-free cake is delicious with chocolate chips, strawberries, raspberries, or with a little lemon zest.
How to Store Pound Cake
- Room-temperature pound cake can be wrapped well with plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container. It should be consumed within a few days.
- To freeze, wrap the cake in plastic wrap or foil, and then put it in a freezer bag. Pound cake can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
- If your cake contains frosting or filling made with dairy products or eggs, like buttercream, whipped cream, or custard filling, you should keep it refrigerated.