Last updated on October 28th, 2022 at 05:41 pm
Here’s a recipe for Halloween ghost cupcakes. Serve these yummy marshmallow-topped chocolate cupcakes at your Halloween party, send them to your children’s school party, or just make them with your kids for a fun treat.
You can color the frosting green on some or all of these for a twist. This is not a difficult recipe to make, but you can buy a boxed cake mix to make it simpler.
Chocolate Marshmallow Ghost Cupcakes — White or Green
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the vanilla buttercream:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- green food dye optional
- 1 cup white or green candy melts
- 1 Tablespoon shortening or vegetable oil
- 24 large marshmallows
- 48 candy eyes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with themed cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
For the frosting and decoration:
- Place softened butter into a bowl, and beat in two cups of icing sugar.
- Add two Tablespoons heavy cream and vanilla.
- Add remaining icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add food coloring, if using.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag with no tip or a circular tip.
- Swirl the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Melt the candy melts with the shortening for 25 seconds, stir, and reheat if necessary.
- Place a large marshmallow in the center of each cupcake, and spoon one to two Tablespoons of the candy melts over the top.
- Use the back of a spoon to help the candy melts move if needed.
- Repeat with the other ghost cupcakes.
- After each ghost has dried for about five minutes, attempt to attach the eyes – if the candy melts are still too soft, give it another couple minutes before re-attempting.