Last updated on February 11th, 2021 at 02:08 amJump to Recipe
Getting out of the house has gone from an appealing expectation to a dismal prospect in what seems like a very short period of time. We’ve all done our best this year to remain cooped up, despite major holidays and events. The COVID pandemic keeps swelling and spreading, and all summer we’ve flirted with danger anytime we left the house. And now, the weather has turned, making it more difficult to venture out. The cold, wet, dreary outdoors has us holed up for a new reason. One bright spot in all of this is that it’s the perfect excuse for one of my favorite date night ideas, cooking beef bourguignon for two.
Have a Date Night in with Beef Bourguignon for Two
Why I like beef bourguignon for date night, is that it is perfect for this stay indoors kind of weather. It works very well divided between two people. It’s fun to make and it also leaves plenty of non-cooking time for other date night activities, such as snuggling on the couch and watching a holiday movie. When you make a stew like beef bourguignon, you’re able to leave it for hours on the stove or slow cooker. You don’t need to plan this recipe too far in advance. Cooking beef stew too long can make the vegetables too soft and dry out the meat.
Tips for Making Beef Bourguignon, Including how to Make a Keto Beef Bourguignon
One of the tricks to a good beef bourguignon is getting that nice thickness to the stew. If you don’t treat it properly, it will be watery, and it won’t have that richness you expect. You need to thicken it by following the instructions in the recipe below. Once your beef bourguignon is done, you can serve it with steamed potatoes, garlic toasted croutons, pasta, or bread.
Make this a keto beef bourguignon with one simple swap. Instead of using cornstarch to thicken the stew, use xanthan gum. This makes the recipe low-carb/keto-friendly.
Beef Bourguignon for Two
Sear the steak pieces on all sides. Then add the bacon pieces, and stir them while they cook for three or four minutes.
Beef Bourguignon Recipe for Two Plus a Keto Beef Stew Option
- 1 pound of sirloin tip steak 1 by 1 1/2 inch slices
- 5 slices of smoked bacon coarsely chopped
- 2 tbl butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups dry red wine burgundy works best
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 2 medium-sized onions coarsely diced
- 3 stalks of celery coarsely sliced
- 3 carrots coarsely sliced
- 8 ounce package of fresh portobello mushrooms quartered
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 ounces of tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a small pan, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium-high heat. Let the butter brown in the oil until it turns the color of powdered cinnamon. Add the steak pieces, and sear them on all sides, which takes about five minutes. Once the steak is seared, add the bacon pieces, and stir them while they cook for three or four minutes.
- Now, add the wine and beef broth to the pot, and reduce the heat to medium. Next, add the celery, carrots, and mushrooms along with the bay leaves, thyme, and black pepper. Cover the pot, and let the mixture cook over medium heat until the carrots are tender, and the meat has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Just before serving, make a slurry of the cornstarch, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Make sure all the cornstarch gets suspended in this mixture. Add this to the stew, and give it time to boil the starch and thicken the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve warm. This stew can be cooked all day in a crockpot, or simmered on low heat for extended periods on the stovetop. It is lick-the-bowl good!
* Substitute xanthan gum for the cornstarch to make this recipe keto-friendly/low-carb.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below!