Last updated on April 18th, 2023 at 09:21 pm
Who doesn’t love Rice Krispie treats? They’re one of the first things I remember learning to make as a kid. The basic recipe is so simple and so tasty, but I have a variation for you today that’s even better!
This vegan Rice Krispie treats recipe includes peanut butter and is topped with dark chocolate.
Making a substitution for the marshamallows makes them vegan, so everyone can enjoy them. If you’d like, skip the chocolate topping, and you’ll have peanut butter Rice Krispie treats.
Why not use marshmallows?
You might not think about there being animal products in Rice Krispie treats, but marshmallows are made of gelatin. And, vegans and vegetarians definitely don’t want to eat gelatin, since it’s made from animal bone and cartilage. There’s kind of an ick factor for lots of other people too, so we wanted to share a recipe for Rice Krispie treats without marshmallows.
We also make a substition for the butter, and part of that is peanut butter. You’re going to love this recipe, especially if you like the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. I think it’s even better with the dark chocolate. This might become your new favorite way to make Rice Krispie treats!
Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
Here’s everything you need you for this gluten-free and vegan Rice Krispie treats recipe. Yes, it’s gluten-free too, because, of course, rice cereal doesn’t contain wheat.
Mix the peanut butter with the other base ingredients, and then add the Rice Kripies or your favorite crispy rice cereal.
Press this mixture into a small square baking pan lined with parchment paper. Chill the bars for 30 minutes. (If you don’t like dark chocolate, you can stop here, and you’ll have peanut butter Rice Krispie treats.
Finally, pour melted dark chocolate over your Rice Krispie treats, and refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
Cut into squares, and enjoy your chocolate peanut butter Rice Krispie treats!
Vegan Rice Krispie Treats (with Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate )
- 3 cups puffed rice
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cup melted dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- In a big bowl, add all of the base ingredients except the puffed rice. Whisk them well to combine.
- Add the puffed rice, and stir again gently to coat.
- Line a 6" or 8" baking pan with parchment paper, and pour in the puffed rice. Press with a spoon so it covers the entire surface, it should be well compacted. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Pour the melted chocolate on top of the puffed rice. Make sure everything is covered by the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for another 30 minutes or until chocolate is well set.
- Cut into 8 bars.