Last updated on September 13th, 2023 at 04:33 pm
Articles may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases (at no cost to you).
This vegan cashew pasta sauce is so flavorful! Try it on spaghetti, fettuccine, penne, linguine, or macaroni — even spiralized veggies. This rich and creamy sauce is gluten-free, so if you want to keep the whole dish gluten-free, be sure to choose a rice, quinoa, chickpea, or another gluten-free pasta.
Serving this cashew pasta sauce over zoodles makes for a healthy and satisfying meal too. You can pick up this inexpensive spiralizer if you don’t have one.
Vegan Cashew Pasta Sauce with Roasted Red Pepper Over Pasta
Here’s everything you need to make vegan cashew pasta sauce. We’re serving ours over spaghetti, but you can use the pasta of your choice. These recipe calls for jarred roasted red peppers, but if you’d prefer to roast your own, here’s how to roast red peppers at home.
Start by adding all of the ingredients, except the butter and the corn flour, to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Heat butter over medium-low heat. Then add flour. Stir to mix, and let cook for three to four minutes until the flour is a shade darker.
Slowly stream in the roasted pepper cream, whisking as you pour. Simmer until it thickens.
Pour the cashew pasta sauce over your cooked pasta.
How to Soak Cashews
This recipe uses soaked cashews. To soak cashews, put them in a bowl, and cover them with an inch of water. Then cover the bowl, and let the cashews soak at room tempurature for up to four hours. You can also soak the cashews overnight in the refrigerator. If you’re short on time, soak them for 15 minutes in very hot (but not boiling) water.
This roasted red pepper cashew sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Vegan Cashew Pasta Sauce with Roasted Red Pepper (Serve Over Your Favorite Pasta)
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups of water
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- ½ cup store-bought roasted red bell pepper
- 16 oz. of your favorite pasta
- Add all of the ingredients, except the butter and the corn flour, to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down as necessary.
- Heat a pot over medium-low heat, and add the butter. Let it melt. Then add the three tablespoons of flour. Stir to mix, and let cook for three to four minutes until the flour is a shade darker.
- Slowly stream in the roasted pepper cream, whisking as you pour so it doesn’t clump up. Add the black pepper, and whisk while the cream comes to a simmer. Let simmer until thickened, about three to five minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Cook your chosen pasta as indicated on the package.
- Pour the cashew pasta sauce over your cooked pasta.
- Store the roasted pepper cream sauce in the refrigerator for up to a week.