Last updated on April 14th, 2023 at 03:10 pm
Do you need some inspiration for your next family dinner? Or, maybe you’re trying to add some frugal meal ideas to your menu line-up? If so, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve rounded up 30 recipes to make with canned beans.
Beans are the ultimate all-in-one ingredient—they’re good for you, tasty, and versatile. Think of them as a blank canvas for you to add all your favorite flavors and spices to.
A few notes before we get started…
What to know about cooking with canned beans
- Rinse canned beans: Many people skip this step, but you should drain the liquid from canned beans, and rinse them until the water runs clear. The liquid you’re draining from the can is mostly starch and salt. Not rinsing your canned beans can even impact the the flavor of your recipe.
- Feel free to make substitutions: If you don’t have the type of canned beans a recipe calls for, you can often substitute another kind. Or, maybe you just prefer another type of bean.
- Dried beans: In my experience, dried beans taste a bit better than canned, but of course, they take some time to prepare. Canned beans are convenient, so if you’re using a recipe that calls for dried beans, you can substitute two (15-ounce) cans of beans for every one cup of dried beans in the recipe.
- Allow enough cooking time: When cooking with canned beans, allow them time to simmer and absorb the flavors of the other ingredients in your dish.
- Storing leftover beans: Store leftover canned beans in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Now, let’s inspired with some tasty dishes featuring beans!