Last updated on June 8th, 2020 at 08:24 pm
Are you trying to live a healthier life? Mindful eating is something you may want to think about.
What is mindful eating?
Mindful eating means using intention and mindfulness to give your complete attention to the the experience of eating. This means–
- eating slowly and without distractions
- listening to your body, and eating only until you’re full
- paying attention to what triggers eating — true hunger, boredom, emotions, etc.
- using all of your senses when eating–noticing the colors, textures, smells, sounds, and flavors of your food
- learning to appreciate and enjoy your food
- noticing the effects food has on your feelings (anxiety, comfort, guilt, etc.)
- learning to eat for your health
Contrast this with the mindless eating many of us do when we’re in a hurry or snacking mindlessly in front of the television.
Why exercise mindful eating?
Eating is often done on-the-go, our food choices aren’t always the best or most nutritious, and as mentioned above, much of our eating is done in front of the television or computer. When we eat this way, we tend to eat unhealthy foods, we eat quickly, and we overeat. Since it can take our brains up to 20 minutes to send us the signal that we’re actually full, by then we’ve eaten way too much.
When we eat mindfully, our attention is where it belongs. Eating becomes intentional, we eat when we are hungry (not out of habit or boredom), and we actually enjoy our meals much more! It’s empowering to put yourself in control of your eating habits. Many people find they lose weight when they practice mindful eating too, as their behaviors change and their stress related to food is reduced.
Are you ready to give mindful eating a try? Print our mindful eating tips as a reminder. A good place to keep this sheet is on your refrigerator or kitchen table.18 Mindful Eating Exercises + a Free Printable | #MindfulEating #printables #health #wellness Click To Tweet
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.