Last updated on September 22nd, 2022 at 12:55 pm
Wondering how to make chalk paint? Keep reading for the complete DIY, and pick up some free printable stencils too!
Chalk paint is a decorative paint that is made by mixing together a few basic ingredients. The paint can be used on lots of different surfaces, including outdoors on sidewalks or on chalkboards. Keep reading to discover how to create and use homemade chalk paint. You’ll find three fun stencil packs as well as a guide for creating your own DIY chalk paint below.
Who Can Use Chalk Paint?
Chalk paint is tons of fun for people of all ages to use! Kids can use it to create sidewalk masterpieces that impress the neighbors, and teens or adults can use it to create beautiful chalkboard signs. The paint washes off clothing and surfaces easily, so cleaning up is a breeze! Below are a few ideas for more ways you can use chalk paint:
On a sidewalk or driveway
- Paint people, animals, and places
- Craft summer-themed masterpieces, like boats and rainbows
- Paint constellation art using the star stencils
- Create games, like hopscotch or four square courts
- Practice spelling or counting using the letter and number stencils
On a chalkboard
- Create display daily or weekly menus for the family
- Write a daily affirmation that speaks to you
- Display a funny joke
- Countdown to an important date
How to Make Chalk Paint + Free Stencils
Making your own chalk paint is simple! All you need are these three basic ingredients: water, cornstarch, and food coloring.
Just mix equal parts cornstarch and water, and whisk until it’s smooth. Next, divide the mixture into small cups, or use a muffin tin. Add food coloring, a few drops at a time, to color your chalk paint mixture. Now you’re ready to paint! You can uses paintbrushes or foam brushes to paint your driveway and sidewalks.
Pick up Free Stencils to Use With Your Chalk Paint
Make sure to download one or all of these fun stencil packs to use with your chalk paint!
- Sidewalk Stencils for Kids
- Chalkboard Stencils for Adults
- Letter & Number Stencils for Kids and Adults
Chalk Paint Tips
Before you get started, here are several tips to keep in mind:
- DIY chalk paint is easy to make, but it doesn’t keep well. Make your paint the same day you plan to use it.
- If the chalk paint seems to be thin or runny, add more cornstarch.
- It can take some time for the paint to dry, even up to a few hours.
- If the chalk paint goes on looking clear, don’t fret! The color will show through when it dries.
- Be sure to use a thin layer of paint so that it doesn’t peel.
Now that you know how to make chalk paint–what will you create?