Last updated on November 18th, 2022 at 03:42 pm
Parents, the health of our kids is our number one priority. We do so much to ensure they’re happy and safe–from researching the best baby products, to keeping tabs on screen time, to helping with homework, and teaching them kindness and responsbility.
As you think about making your home environment child friendly, have you also thought about your outdoor space? Before you make one more purchase for your patio, deck, or yard, let’s talk about how to find kid-friendly outdoor furniture.
We all know children love being outdoors, and given a chance, many of them would spend the whole day playing in the backyard, frolicking in the pool, or enjoying outdoor games on the patio or deck. Apart from a safe and open space to play, they need comfortable furniture that’s both safe and kid friendly.
If you haven’t considered the quality and safety of your outdoor furniture from a child’s perspective, it’s time you gave it some serious thought. Whatever your child’s age, they need furniture (indoors or out) that’s safe. With their endless energy and natural curiosity, the onus is on us as parents to ensure that they’re always protected.
Useful tips to keep in mind when choosing kid-friendly outdoor furniture:
- Kids’ furniture should be sturdy and durable. Focus on the materials as you shop and compare. Durable materials for outdoor furniture include steel and heavy plastic.
- Since this kind of furniture, by definition, will be outdoors, it should be weatherproof and resistant to wind and rain. Furniture that can’t hold up to the weather can deteriorate, becoming unstable, and even dangerous. Look for furniture that’s made of weather-resistant materials. For example, teak outdoor furniture durability is well known, as teak wood is strong and can withstand extreme conditions.
- When thinking about kid-friendly outdoor furniture, one common type to avoid is folding furniture. It can be tricky to handle with all of its moving parts and can pose a danger to little ones. Young children often don’t understand how things work, so they might crawl onto a folding chair, only to have it collapse around them, not to mention the possibility of little fingers getting caught and injured.
- Keep your outdoor spaces free of any clutter, and buy only the most essential furniture items. Unnecessary items outside will not only make the space restrictive for your children when they’re playing, but will also increase the chances of a fall and possible injury.
- Don’t buy storage or deck boxes with heavy lids. You run the risk of a child trying to climb in and having the heavy lid fall down and injure them, or they could crawl into a storage box and become trapped.
- Remove any unstable furniture accessories, such as table lamps and vases, from outdoor areas where children play, as there is a high probability that they may trip over them while playing or running.
Safer Kid-Friendly Outdoor Furniture Ideas:
- Bean bags: They’re low to the ground and are perfect for lounging or sitting.
- Sturdy colorful plastic chairs may be better than heavy wooden and metal ones.
- Portable lounge chairs with cushions are a good choice. Just make sure to properly lock them into position.
- When buying tables, choose round tables, since sharp corners can post a definite safety hazard when children are running and playing outside.
- You can even buy children’s furniture sets specifically made for the outdoors.
So, as you furnish your patio, deck, or backyard living area, keep your kids’ comfort and safety in mind. With the kid-friendly outdoor furniture ideas we’ve talked about, you can create a comfortable outdoor living space that works for everyone!Tips to Find the Best Kid-Friendly Outdoor Furniture Click To Tweet
You might also like these posts:
Create Your Perfect Backyard Kitchen: 7 Things to Consider
Fun in the Sun: 20 of the Best Summer Toys
6 Smart Tips for Setting Screen-Time Boundaries
Look for MomsWhoSave on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and get our updates!
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.
Leave a Reply