Last updated on June 9th, 2022 at 03:25 pm
Do you love to travel? You can live like a local with a home exchange. If it’s not something you’ve thought about (or maybe even heard of), keep reading to learn more.
The freezing temperatures we’ve been in throughout most of U.S. has me wishing for a warm, sunny vacation. Budgeting for a long, relaxing trip is always difficult though. In the last several years, our family has saved money by renting a condo or house on our beach vacations.
And, if you’re like me, when you’re visiting someplace new, you don’t want to go to the same chain restaurants you have at home or shop at the same stores. You want to really experience the place you’re visiting. Living in a neighborhood, rather than a tourist area, is a great way to do just that.
Many people swear by home exchanges. This is also a great way to “feel at home” while you’re on vacation. Home exchanges, where you trade home with another traveler, are becoming more popular for so many reasons.
Why Consider a Home Exchange for Your Next Trip?
- You’ll save money compared to staying in a hotel while on vacation.
- Save money on eating out since you can cook your meals.
- You can often bring your pet, rather than board it.
- You can sometimes swap cars too, saving you money versus renting a vehicle.
- It’s a great way to check out a city you’re considering relocating to.
- It’s a great way to afford accomodations during major events, like the Olympics.
- Job hunting in a new area or considering relocating? A home swap will give you a feel for the city.
- Experience a new destination as a “local.”
One of my friends has participated in a couple of home exchanges, and has had very gracious hosts who have left her wonderful instructions about the best shops, cafes, grocery stores, etc. She does the same for her guests.
It might not be for everyone, but if you are a little adventurous and want to truly experience your temporary “home,” check out a home exchange. If you’re wondering where to start, here’s one resource to start with.
Have you tried a home exchange? Leave me a comment below.
You might also like this post — Wondering What to Take to the Beach? We Have Your Beach Vacation Packing List!
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.