Last updated on July 11th, 2023 at 11:16 pm
Chocolate is my favorite treat, and if I can find a way to make it a little bit healthier, but still every bit as delicious–that’s a win-win! Today, we’re doing just that, with a rich and creamy vegan avocado chocolate mousse.
You can quickly whip up this tasty dessert using the microwave or the stovetop. Actually, the only “cooking” that’s involved is to melt the chocolate! Then, simply use a hand mixer to do all the rest. This vegan variation on a classic and popular dessert dish uses avocado for texture (and nutrition), and we get sweetness from agave nectar. Top this mousse with berries for an even more textural and flavorful experience. For more about vegan mousse, and why avocado makes such an amazing fit for this recipe, read on!
What’s in a basic (non-vegan) mousse recipe?
Mousse doesn’t have to be off limits for vegans, but if you buy it, rather than make it yourself, it will probably contain whipped cream, eggs, and maybe gelatin–not vegan friendly. It makes sense to make your own if you want to enjoy a delicious chocolate mousse that’s vegan-friendly. This recipe is so simple, but so satisfying. Eveyone will enjoy this scrumptious chocolate mousse.
Avocados are a brilliant addition to homemade chocolate mousse. Many of the best chefs take advantage of the unique texture and the nutritional fats in avocado to make all kinds of recipes more smooth, rich, and decadent. Because avocado is such a heavy hitter in the macronutrients department, it’s a great way to add vitamins and other essential nutrients to this sweet and airy chocolate dessert. You can enjoy this as soon as you’re done making it, but it’s better if you wait for a few hours, and refrigerate your vegan avocado chocolate mousse before serving.
Vegan Avocado Chocolate Mousse
Start by chopping the dark chocolate into small pieces. This way the chocolate will melt more easily.
After you’ve melted the chocolate, combine all the ingredients, and using a hand mixer, pulse until smooth.
For the best consistency, refrigerate for one to two hours before serving. Top with shredded coconut or your favorite fruit if you’d like, and enjoy!Easy Vegan Avocado Chocolate Mousse Recipe | #vegan #recipes #desserts Click To Tweet
Vegan Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 4 oz dark chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Optional: 1-3 tsp agave nectar, maple syrup, or another liquid sweetener of choice
- First, melt the chocolate.
- Microwave option: Place the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Put the bowl of chopped chocolate into the microwave for 30 seconds on high power. Remove the bowl from the microwave, and stir the chocolate. Place the bowl back for another 30 seconds on high power. After this, keep microwaving the chocolate chips on high power in 10-second increments, stirring in between until the chocolate is smooth and fully melted.
- Stove option (the one I used): To melt chocolate on the stovetop, place the chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. This method keeps the chocolate away from direct heat, which allows it to melt at a low enough temperature to prevent scorching and separating.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients with the melted chocolate, and using a hand blender, pulse until smooth.
- For a better consistency, refrigerate for one to two hours before serving.
- Optional: garnish with shredded coconut, fruit, or vegan whipped cream.