Last updated on August 10th, 2020 at 05:33 pm
DIY Cream of Anything Soup Mix (beef, chicken, or veggie flavor, etc.)
Have you ever looked at the back of a can of cream of chicken soup? Maybe not, but I just did. There are 22 ingredients–a couple I can’t even pronounce, ugh. I decided it was time to try a simple, DIY cream soup mix and feel a little better about what I’m using as my go-to cream soup. And, as a bonus, this can be made plain, allowing you to add in beef, chicken, or veggie flavor when needed. Double bonus, it works out to about 65¢ per “can” of prepared mix!
Cream of Anything Dry Soup Mix
- 1 cup Powdered Milk
- 3/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1/4 cup Bouillon Granules of your choice
- 1/4 cup Onion Powder
- 1 t. Thyme
- 1 t. Basil
- Up to 1 t. Pepper to taste
- Dash of Salt if using low sodium bouillon
- Shake all ingredients in a container. That’s it!
- To use, whisk 1/3 cup soup mix with 1 1/4 cup water, and simmer until thickened to desired consistency.
- You don’t have to simmer this alone, add it to your veggies or meat at the end of their cooking time, and continue with your recipe as usual.
You can omit bouillon in the recipe above to make a plain mix. Then, to use, simply whisk a scant 1/3 cup of soup mix with 2 t. of any flavor bouillon granules and 1 1/4 cup water. Simmer until thickened to desired consistency.
The Frugal Bonus:
This recipe replaces a little more than six cans of cream soup and costs $3.88 (at the time of this writing), or 65¢ per “can”. We buy generic powdered milk because hey, milk is milk! And, we get our spices in bulk at Sam’s Club. Here’s the cost break down:
Corn Starch 54¢
= $3.88 total or 65¢ per “can”
So, I challenge you to shake up a batch to keep in the pantry, and next time you need a couple of cans of cream of anything soup, whisk up this fast, frugal, and healthier version instead.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.