Last updated on December 26th, 2020 at 11:53 pm
Are you spending your New Year’s Eve with kids–or do you need some ideas for the babysitter? Of course children should have some fun ringing in the New Year too, so we have some ideas (and the kids don’t even have to stay up until midnight).
While you wait for the big countdown to midnight, here are some fun ideas for your New Year’s Eve with kids:
1. Pop some popcorn, and count the amount of time left until the new year. And, if you want to count down to eight or nine o’clock, that’s o.k. too.
2. Ask each child to say two New Year’s resolutions that are real, and one that’s a lie. Everyone else has to guess which one is the lie.
3. Or, have each child write down their New Year’s resolution on a piece of paper. Then pull them all out of a hat, and guess which resolution belongs to which child. You can also have your children fill out this free New Year’s resolutions printable page. (click to go to this post to print full-size)
5. Play a fun game of New Year’s Eve charades for kids. Pick up our free printables here.
6. Create your own word searches (or download this New Year’s Eve word search). Little ones can have fun doing coloring pages or playing these matching games. You can also play some board games, or make holiday crafts. Here are some ideas: make holiday crackers or create your own noise makers.
7. Check out your city’s events calendar for local New Year’s family activities. Often children’s museums, your local science center, parks, libraries, or downtown areas will plan special activities.
8. Come up with a family New Year’s resolution.
9. Toast with special drinks (fancy fruit mocktails, sparkling cider, or hot chocolate). Try this bubbly caramel apple cider!
10. Make your own party hats (here’s a how-to guide)!
11. Make countdown bags with treats inside to open each hour counting down until midnight. Fill your treat bags with a few pieces of candy and small toys from the dollar store.
Most of all, have a Happy New Year!
Do you have other creative ideas for celebrating the new year with little ones? Leave me a comment below.