Last updated on August 23rd, 2019 at 05:35 pm
It’s summer, and I’ve got an easy DIY project for you that’s perfect for a pool party or just to hang up in the house or backyard. Many of the materials can be found at the dollar store, and the rest you might already have in a drawer or closet.
This flip flop sign is a fun project to do with the kids. You might even want to make it an activity for a tween or teen outdoor summer party. Set up a station at a table outside with all of the materials, and let the kids get creative making their own signs to take home. Feel free to personalize the message on the sign or have them spell their names.
Supplies for one sign:
- Dollar Store flip flops – two coordinating pairs
- Dollar Store silk flowers – one bunch (usually 5-6 flowers)
- Chipboard alphabet letters
- Grosgrain ribbon – 36” length to coordinate with flip flops
- Glue – with fine tip nozzle
- Glue gun and glue sticks
1. Select chipboard letters to spell out your message – for example: “Life Is Better In Flip Flops” (or any message you choose). TIP: This is a good opportunity to use up several different styles of chipboard alphabet letters in the same color.
2. Starting at the heel end, attach chipboard letters to flip flops in a random fashion with the fine tip nozzle of multi-purpose glue. Let dry.
3. Turn flip flops over on your work surface. Starting at the base of the bottom flip flop, attach 36 inches of grosgrain ribbon to the back with your glue gun, going up one side, leaving a 12-inch hanger at the top. Then glue the ribbon down the other side. See the example photo below. Trim any excess ribbon with scissors.
4. Remove the tops of three silk flowers from the stems, and attach them to the thong part of each flip flop with a glue gun.
5. Now hang up your DIY sign wherever you’d like some color and little bit of summertime!
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.