Last updated on November 24th, 2015 at 01:43 am
Disclosure: MomsWhoSave has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free. See full disclosure policy here.
Where I live, we enjoy nice stretches of weather in the spring and fall when we don’t need to use either air conditioning or heat. Like it or not through, cold weather is coming, and along with it, high heating bills.
That’s why I was excited to receive the Nest Smart Thermostat. This new 2nd generation version, will help our family save so much energy, and it’s so user-friendly.
The Nest Smart thermostat senses your activity, learns your preferences, and can be adjusted from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. I set up the Nest thermostat myself, and I’ve been loving it ever since.
Note: if you have any trouble with the do-it-yourself set-up, check out Nest’s website, or you can get a professional installer.
- To get the most out of your Nest, connect to your existing home’s Wi-Fi network and download the free app from iTunes or GooglePlay – this allow you to manage your home’s temperature from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop, even when you’re miles away.
- Never come home to a cold house. You can easily turn down the temp when traveling, or set it to warm up your home before you come home.
- You can set it to accommodate your schedule and temperature preferences.
- Or, there is no need to set preferences – within a week, the Nest learning thermostat starts programming itself. It learns your habits and adjusts automatically, regulating your home’s temperature based on your schedule – which can save you energy and money. When you’re not at home (the “Away” mode), it will automatically switch to an energy-efficient temperature. In independent studies, the Nest saved an average of 10-12% on heating and 15% on cooling bills.
- Nest provides your energy usage, tracking how much you’ve used and provides tips that will help you conserve. Make an energy-saving temperature adjustment and the Nest Leaf will notify you immediately.
- Some local utility companies offer rebates – find out about available rebates online.
- Nest provides alerts and reminders for peace of mind: it monitors your heating/cooling equipment, and tells you if anything is not working correctly. You can also be alerted if your home’s temperature goes above or below limits you set.
- Nest also works with Nest products, such as the Nest Cam and Protect, and other home automation devices.
I also received the Netgear® Nighthawk™ DST Router and DST Adapter – new and exclusively at Best Buy.
This is a brand new router that was exclusively developed between Netgear, an industry leader in the networking world, and Best Buy. Since the average US household has seven “connected devices” – from smart phones (often several in a home), to tablets, to laptops, to computers, and Wi-Fi printers, this puts a strain on the home’s network, especially the router. Add to that streaming TV, and many households experience slow Wi-Fi or “dead zones.” This new router with its Wi-Fi extender has eliminated problems with streaming at our house.
- The AC1900 comes with one DST, or “Dead Spot Terminator,” adapter – to eliminate your Wi-Fi dead zones; place it in an area where you get little/no reception, to improve Wi-Fi access. Additional adapters can be purchased for other dead zones.
- This high-performance router was built to support 10+ connected devices – you can also prioritize devices for streaming videos or music, and included advanced features for lag-free gaming.
- Best Buy makes it easy with this new high performance Wi-Fi router, which includes a Wi-Fi extender and Geek Squad Set Up and Support via phone & web, for one full year.
- The Geek Squad service via phone and web allows customers to call or get help 24/7 whenever they want vs. the need to schedule an appointment.
Have you cut the cable TV cord, or are you thinking about it? I did, and I still get my favorite TV channels on SlingTV.
With Sling TV – watch when you want, on the device you want, and only pay for the channels you want at a great price. Enjoy live TV from many of the most popular channels, including ESPN, AMC, A&E, TNT, HGTV, and more — for just $20 per month. Plus, watch the latest episodes of your favorite shows and new movies on demand. You can also get extra entertainment with add-on packages starting at $5 a month, and HBO® for an additional $15 per month.
- Watch at home or on the go – Sling TV is available on multiple devices:
- TV and video players, including Amazon FireTV and Roku
- Xbox One
- Smartphones, tablets, laptops, and computers (select operating systems)
- With Sling TV, you don’t have to worry about equipment and set-up fees, and there’s no annual contract. Simply sign up online, download the app, and start watching.
- There is also a $50 off compatible device offer – available with 3 months of prepaid Sling TV service; this offer is available in Best Buy stores only, and not online; the $50 discount is given in the form of a Best Buy store coupon.
To activate the optional one month free service, please see the detailed steps below. NOTE: to receive the one month of free Sling TV service, you will need to click on the link below to sign up, and provide the needed info, including a credit card number. You will not be charged for the first month and MUST cancel within the 30 day window to avoid any charges – below are detailed instructions on how to cancel.
To sign up for the optional Sling TV one month of free service:
- Click on this link: www.sling.com/bestbuyblog.
- Enter your email address and create a password. Click “next.”
- The base package is already selected. To avoid any potential charges, DO NOT select any add-on packs unless you want to be charged a separate fee. Scroll down and click “continue.”
- Enter in your billing information. Click “finish” and submit.
Important: *Add-ons can be selected, however, it will not be included in the FREE one month trial and your credit card will be charged. Be sure to cancel at any time within the first 30 days to avoid credit card charges. If service is not canceled within the first 30 days, the service will convert to a paying subscription beginning day 31.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.
Disclosure: MomsWhoSave posts may contain affiliate links or sponsored content that helps to support this site. See full disclosure policy here.