Last updated on May 2nd, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Here’s a delicious recipe for Mexican stuffed peppers with quinoa and black beans. This recipe is vegan (and gluten-free), but some melted some cheese on top or a dollop of sour cream would be tasty too. If you like Mexican food, you’ll love this hearty main dish. And, if you’re new to quinoa, here’s a great way to try it!
Yields: 8 stuffed pepper halves
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Mexican Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa & Black Beans
4 bell peppers, cut in half vertically, cleaned and stems removed
¾ cup dry quinoa
1 can black beans (15 oz.)
1 cup corn
½ small onion, diced
1 cup salsa
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 tablespoon cooking oil
Optional toppings: chopped avocado, cilantro, tomatoes
1. Cook quinoa according to directions on package using either water or broth.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place halved bell peppers in a lightly sprayed 9×13” baking dish, and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until it is translucent. Add remaining ingredients to the pan, including cooked quinoa and combine. Add additional
salsa if preferred.
4. Generously stuff the peppers with the filling. Place a sheet of aluminum foil over the baking dish, and place in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
5. Remove foil, and place baking dish back in oven for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Serve with your choice of toppings: chopped avocado, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, etc.
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.
Disclosure: MomsWhoSave posts may contain affiliate links that help to support this site. See full disclosure policy here.