Last updated on January 25th, 2018 at 03:24 pm
As I write this, much of the United States is going through a cold snap, with record low temperatures for most of the country. Where I live, we’re experiencing single-digit temperatures, and it definitely makes me want to stay inside in front of the fire.
When it’s this cold, everyone craves hot and hearty meals, and this potato soup is perfect for the fall and winter. Top it with some shredded cheddar if you’d like or chives and bacon. It’s even better served with warm breadsticks. Enjoy, and keep warm!
- Boil your potatoes in water until cooked well – if you spear one with a fork, it should fall apart.
- Drain the water, and leave the potatoes in the strainer as you cook the onion.
- Place the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat, and add the chopped onion. Cook until translucent, about three minutes.
- Add the potatoes back in along with the water or broth. Cover, and cook until the potatoes start to break down, about 20 minutes.
- Place in a blender, or use an immersion blender, and blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish as desired. I love shredded cheddar cheese and chives as a garnish, and my boys love crumbled bacon too. Enjoy!
Don’t miss a freebie, deal, or giveaway! Subscribe to MomsWhoSave’s blog posts below! Then be sure to confirm your subscription when you get the confirmation email.