Last updated on October 5th, 2019 at 12:55 pm
New Year’s Eve should be fun for kids too! We have some ideas to help your little ones have a blast ringing in the New Year (and they don’t need to stay up until midnight).
While you wait for the big countdown to midnight, here are some fun New Year’s Eve ideas:
1. Pop some popcorn, and count the amount of time left until the new year. And in case you didn’t know, Netflix has “pretend” New Year’s Eve countdowns with kids’ favorite characters so kids don’t actually have to stay up late.
2. Ask each child to say two New Year’s resolutions that are real, and one that’s a lie. Everyone else has to guess which one is the lie.
3. Or, have each child write down their New Year’s resolution on a piece of paper. Then pull them all out of a hat, and guess which resolution belongs to which child. You can also have your children fill out this free New Year’s resolutions printable page. (click to go to this post to print full-size)
4. Watch fireworks if your city has them on New Year’s Eve.
5. Create your own word searches (or download this New Year’s Eve word search). Little ones can have fun doing coloring pages or playing these matching games. You can also play some board games, or make holiday crafts. Here are some ideas: make holiday crackers or create your own noise makers.
6. Check out your city’s events calendar for local New Year’s family activities. Often children’s museums, your local science center, parks, libraries, or downtown areas will plan special activities.
7. Come up with a family New Year’s resolution.
8. Toast with special drinks (fancy fruit mocktails, sparkling cider, or hot chocolate). Try this bubbly caramel apple cider!
9. Make your own party hats (print your 2019 party hats here)!
10. Make countdown bags with treats inside to open each hour counting down until midnight. Fill your treat bags with a few pieces of candy and small toys from the dollar store.
Most of all, have a Happy New Year!
Do you have other creative ideas for celebrating the new year with little ones? Leave me a comment below.