Here’s a delicious breakfast recipe that is so versatile! These Make-Ahead Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Muffins are delicious when you eat them right from the oven, perfect when you have a crowd to feed (holiday brunches, kids’ sleepovers, etc.), and are easy to freeze and warm up for school days or any busy morning.
It’s nice to enjoy a hot breakfast, even on those days when you’re in a rush, and this recipe makes it easy. For vegetarians, you can substitute veggie sausage or even skip the sausage.
MAKE-AHEAD SAUSAGE, EGG, and CHEESE MUFFINS
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
½ pound sausage, cooked and crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 400˚.
2. In a large bowl combine the hash browns, butter, salt and pepper.
3. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill the cups about ¾ of the way full with the hash browns. Press with your fingers to mold the hash browns to the cups all the way to the top. Try to make the sides the same thickness all the way around for even cooking. Make sure there are hash browns on the bottom of the cup.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until they are starting to brown. Let cool slightly.
5. Reduce oven to 350˚.
6. Take half of the shredded cheese and sprinkle in the bottom of the cups. Repeat with half of the sausage crumble.
7. Whisk the eggs together and fill the cups until almost full.
8. Top with the second half of cheese and sausage.
9. Bake until eggs are set, 20-25 minutes.
10. To freeze: Let cool for two hours, then place muffins in a Ziploc gallon bag until you’re ready to enjoy. Microwave for a few minutes before serving for breakfast.